Flax seeds, rich in ALA omega-3, a good source of fiber.
How do I use flax seeds?
I have an electric coffee & spice grinder so I can easy grind of flax seeds to add to my smoothies, protein shakes, oatmeal, salads, salad dressings, on sandwiches, in baking, gravies on & on. Using flax seeds ground or the gel/slime is the best way to get the health benefits from them. I also use the ground up flax seeds in a poultice that works great for wounds, cuts, scratches, burns, boils, bites & stings.
- 4 tbsp of ground up flax seeds.
- 3 tbsp of Activated charcoal.
- Optional…5 drops of essential oil (Lavender, pine, eucalyptus, tea tree oil, oregano, rosemary or another that works for your need)
- 1 cup of warmed distilled (or filtered) water
- Roll of paper towels
- Mix well in a bowl the charcoal will not stain, lay out your paper towel (1) apply the mixture 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick in the middle, then fold paper towel over like envelope, then turn darkest side out (to touch skin), & apply plastic wrap over other side. Use an ace bandage or something to secure poultice to stay in contact with skin.
- See poultice slideshow of pictures at bottom on how to do poultice.
- If applying direct to skin, let sit up in bowl a few minutes & stir again, apply to area & cover with a wet cloth & cover with gauze & or plastic wrap to keep secure.
- Leave poultice on an hour at least, but 4 hours or overnight is best or until poultice dries, repeat if needed, store any extra of the mixture in the fridge.
You can make these poultices ahead to keep in fridge (only a few days) or to freeze (last months this way) to have for fast use & great for burns when cold.
- On the paper towel poultice if you prefer to use it but have direct skin contact just slice an x in the dark side & fold back the pieces before applying to skin.
- To wash any charcoal off your skin that remains after washing, just use baking soda & water paste & gently scrub. The same mixture cleans counters, dishes etc.
- These poultices can be doubled or tripped etc in size.
- Perfect for using anywhere on body, as long as it is wet it is working. Works great as is, no essential oils needed. But you can add them for extra healing if desired.
- Many use these poultices for burns, bites, stings, blisters, cuts, wounds, sprains, broken bones (for inflammation & pain), abscess, boils, chest cold, headaches, migraines, aches, pain, inflammation, water retention, gallbladder & liver detox, ovarian cysts, fluid, sore throat, arthritis, over eyes(only use closed poultice over eyes) & so much more.
- Charcoal is touted for its soothing & healing & even for pain relief.
Flax Gel (Slime as I refer to it):
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2 tbsp of whole flax seeds
- Add flax seeds to boiling water & lower heat to just simmer stirring occasionally for 7 to 10 minutes. The mixture is done when you see the glossy slime with whitish streaks. let cool, You can store in the fridge for up to 10 days, you can leave the seeds in or separate them out & just use the slime.
- You can also use the slime in the poultice above as well.
- Use in baking to replace oil or eggs
- thickner for foods
- Use in hot water for tea
- As hair conditioner or hair gel, makes the best hair gel, I sometimes mix it with aloe gel for hair gel, use as a hair mask or hot hair treatment with a hot damp towel for 20 minutes then wash out.
- As lube
- Use mixed with essential oils of choice for sore joints, chest cold & more
- Mix with activated charcoal powder for a face mask, underarm mask (detox).
- Soothing to skin
- Soothing to throat (drink mixed with raw honey)
- Very healing, soothing, healthy, full of omega 3s, great for dandruff, flaky itching skin, burns & more
You can also sprout Flax seeds & soak them to use the Flax slime or Flax oil as many call it on burns & cuts or even to drink.
Tropical Traditions Whole Golden Flax Seeds
These flax seeds worked great for my DIY uses
Tropical Traditions Home Page.
Virgin Coconut Oil page.
Reviews: My product reviews the company provided me with a reduced price or free item(s) or sample(s) of the product(s) mentioned above in my review, I was under no obligation to review it, nor was I under any obligation to only write a positive review. My reviews are my honest opinion after personally trying the product & feeling confident in it. When it comes to products I do not like, that cause issues or if it was a negative experience I will not review them & contact the company telling them why. So If the review has made it to my blog it is because I love it & recommend it to everyone & I am happy to have used the product.
Affiliate & Referral links: I do when I can have links that are affiliate or referral links, not all links on my blog, pages & posts are affiliate or referral links. (More info here)
I will share links to buy products on Amazon anytime I can, I thank you for your support.
- Check out my Disclaimers & Policies page here
- If this post contains an alternative remedy remember I am not a Dr.
Follow me: Facebook – Pinterest – Google+ – Instagram (Raising6kids) – Twitter @NaturalCheree
Click here to learn where buy some of my favorite products such as coconut oil, colloidal silver & more.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog – NFR6K Blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids & NFR6K Reviews
To contact me to review your product go here.
More products I love by Tropical Traditions: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil – Green label Virgin coconut oil – Palm Oil – Palm shortening – Extra Virgin Olive oil – Black Cumin Seed oil – Organic Sesame oil – Coconut water Vinegar – Organic Apple cider vinegar – Balsamic vinegar – Pink Himalayan salt – Organic spices – Organic Whole Unbleached Sugar – Grass-Fed butter & more.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. Thank you for reading my blog & supporting me on the journey to share #NFR6K Cheree