Milk Kefir Second Fermentation.
My favorite way to make strawberry milk kefir.
Second fermenting milk kefir after you have removed the grains can be a great way to add flavor, to reduce any remaining lactose but also increase the nutrients, bioavailable vitamins, probiotics & benefits by giving the bacteria that is present more to eat.
Second fermenting can give milk kefir sweetness & remove tart, sour or bitter taste.
A reminder milk kefir tends to be thick but not as thick as yogurt, more like a drinkable yogurt. Second fermenting can add a bit of thickness sometimes, so can draining just some of the whey make it thicker.
Never do a second ferment with the kefir grains, make sure you remove them so you do not harm them.
You can use fresh or frozen strawberries.
Use cold or room temp milk kefir, but if cold add extra time sitting out at room temp.
- To 1 quart of finished milk kefir (do not over fill jar).
- Optional: I add 1 tsp real vanilla.
- Do not add the fruit yet.
- Cover jar with plastic wrap & either secure with a rubber band or screw lid over wrap.
- Allow to sit at room temp 1, 3, 4 or so hours depending on temp & your taste (feel free to taste along the way).
- You can stir several times if desired (or shake jar).
- Watch for separation, you want to try to avoid separation of the milk & whey.
- Now add a couple cut in half strawberries.
- Sit in refrigerator covered.
- After several hours remove fruit (watch & taste to figure out how long but I usually wait to to 3 hours).
- Remove fruit & give ita squeeze to add the juices to the milk kefir. (you can leave fruit if you prefer or even blend it in with a Ninja or something).
Tip: to thicken more if desired add some milk kefir cheese. Simple to make Raw Milk Kefir Cheese (soft cheese)
Serve with sliced or pureed strawberries, or add to a fruit smoothie.
What to buy needed supplies (on Amazon)
- Half Gallon jars
- Gallon jars
- Quart jars
- Plastic strainer
- Organic coffee filters
- Real vanilla beans
- Organic Vanilla extract
- My kombucha information Kombucha tea (KT): Recipe – How to – Ideas – Probiotic – SCOBY
- My Milk Kefir info Milk kefir how to, Directions, recipe, troubleshooting and FAQ’s
- Coffeebucha How to make Coffee-Bucha, Probiotic coffee using Kombucha
Affiliate & Referral links: I do when I can have links that are affiliate or referral links, not all links on my blog, pages & posts are affiliate or referral links. (More info here)
I will share links to buy products on Amazon anytime I can, I thank you for your support.
- Check out my Disclaimers & Policies page here
- If this post contains an alternative remedy remember I am not a Dr.
Click here to learn where buy some of my favorite products such as coconut oil, colloidal silver & more.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog – NFR6K Blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
To contact me to review your product go here.
More products I love by Tropical Traditions: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil – Green label Virgin coconut oil – Palm Oil – Palm shortening – Extra Virgin Olive oil – Black Cumin Seed oil – Organic Sesame oil – Coconut water Vinegar – Organic Apple cider vinegar – Balsamic vinegar – Pink Himalayan salt – Organic spices – Organic Whole Unbleached Sugar – Grass-Fed butter & more.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. Thank you for reading my blog & supporting me on the journey to share #NFR6K Cheree