This creates a nice light tasting kombucha that is slightly sweet & tart.
I do second ferments all the time of water kefir & I do second ferments all the time of kombucha. This recipes combines them with amazing results.
- Click here to buy kombuchas, kefirs & accessories.
- Second Fermenting: Kombucha tea Recipes
- Water Kefir – Direction – FAQ – Living probiotic culture – Drink
- Kombucha tea (KT): Recipe – How to – Ideas – Probiotic – SCOBY
My husband will drink kombucha tea, but he is just not in love with the kombucha taste. I also wanted him to start drinking water kefir, so I decided to start experimenting. I knew I personally sometimes liked to mix flavored water kefir in my kombucha, so all I needed to do was experiment & take it a step further & second ferment them together.
The result, delicious. Now I must point out the version I am getting my husband to drink is orange & lemon (more orange than lemon), so you can play around with the amounts & you can use different fruits if you want.
What you need:
- 2 & half cups of finished unflavored kombucha tea
- 2 & half cups finished unflavored water kefir
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh cubed pineapple
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 2 quart jars or one half gallon jar
- Orange: I used a navel orange about softball size, but you can use the type you want.
- Pineapple: I tried this with frozen chunks of pineapple & I just preferred the fresh pineapple, but decide for yourself.
- Kombucha tea: Make sure your kombucha tea has not gotten sour like vinegar, I like mine at about day 8 to 10. Never use Kombucha tea that has been flavored in batches with your SCOBY’s.
- Water kefir: I ferment my water kefir usually 24 hours for the first ferment.
- Sugar: The sugar is optional, but it does help the second ferment to continue the process of adding probiotics.
- Length of second ferment: How long you decide to second ferment is all up to you, but if you add sugar make sure it is used up by the mixture.
- Tasting: Depending on temps in your home you can start tasting at 12 hours using a straw, taste twice a day until it gets to the taste you are looking for.
- Kombucha scoby: Any kombucha scoby that might form on the top you can either blend in with a blender or discard. Do not use for making kombucha tea.
- Second fermenting: Second fermenting gives you even more nutrients, vitamins & probiotics than first ferments.
- Add your kombucha & water kefir to your jar (if using 2 jars equal amounts in each jar).
- Add sugar & stir in until dissolved.
- Now take your cubed pineapple & smash it up as much as you can in a bowl.
- Add crushed up pineapple & the juice to jar(s).
- Slice the orange & lemon in half after cleaning the skin really well.
- Squeeze juice from both into jar with kefir/kombucha.
- Slice up the orange & lemon & add some of each to jar(s) making sure to leave room at top to ferment. (so do not over fill).
- Cover jar openings with plastic wrap.
- Screw on lids.
- Try to release gas pressure once a day or so.
- For me this is done in 48 hours, for you it might be less or more.
- Use a plastic mesh strainer to remove fruit, seeds pulp, any slime that formed from the kombucha tea.
- You do not have to strain it out, you can leave it to continue adding flavor in the fridge.
- You can also add this second ferment with the chunks of fruit right into the blender & blend it up & let it infuse more flavor.
- You can then use the plastic mesh strainer to remove the blended up pieces as you pour into your glass.
Buy on Amazon:
Affiliate & Referral links: I do when I can have links that are affiliate or referral links, not all links on my blog, pages & posts are affiliate or referral links. (More info here)
I will share links to buy products on Amazon anytime I can, I thank you for your support.
- Check out my Disclaimers & Policies page here
- If this post contains an alternative remedy remember I am not a Dr.
Click here to learn where buy some of my favorite products such as coconut oil, colloidal silver & more.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog – NFR6K Blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
To contact me to review your product go here.
More products I love by Tropical Traditions: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil – Green label Virgin coconut oil – Palm Oil – Palm shortening – Extra Virgin Olive oil – Black Cumin Seed oil – Organic Sesame oil – Coconut water Vinegar – Organic Apple cider vinegar – Balsamic vinegar – Pink Himalayan salt – Organic spices – Organic Whole Unbleached Sugar – Grass-Fed butter & more.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. Thank you for reading my blog & supporting me on the journey to share #NFR6K Cheree