I love using key limes in my cleaning solutions.
Key limes like limes have antiseptic, antibacterial, antibiotic and disinfectant properties, inhibit microbial growth.
It is said that Key limes like other citrus & peroxide is a natural biocide. A natural biocide is a microorganism that can deter, render harmless or exert a controlling effect on harmful organisms & is important as a disinfectant & oxidizing agent, as well as preservatives.
As a side point key limes are great for skin care & for bronchial issues.
I will be sharing just a few ways to use key limes in your DIY cleaning solutions, but you can get creative & add them the way you like best.
Use these cleaners all around your home (not on natural stone or granite because of the key lime). Also great for room deodorizer/air freshener.
Cleaner #1: (my favorite way)
- Supplies needed 3 fresh, washed, whole key limes, 3 cups of hydrogen peroxide, a Ninja, blender etc, mesh strainer.
- Add the peroxide to the Ninja, drop in the 3 whole key limes.
- Blend until the key limes are pureed into the peroxide.
- Use the mesh strainer to strain out the key lime bits (save the key lime bits, check out cleaner #3 below).
- Add the key lime peroxide to an empty peroxide bottle & add a spray nozzle or use a blue or brown colored glass spray bottle to prevent light from getting to peroxide.
- Shake & clean.
- Options: Use 1/4 cup key lime juice if you can not blend whole key limes.
Cleaner # 2:
- Supplies needed, 1/4 cup fresh or bottled key lime juice, 1 cups water 1 cup distilled white vinegar.
- Add 3 ingredients to spray bottle, shake & clean.
Cleaner #3: Key lime vinegar
- Supplies needed, fresh, washed, whole key limes, distilled white vinegar, a Ninja, blender etc.
- The amount of this you make depends on how many key limes you have & the size of your jar. I personally do 2 key limes per cup of distilled white vinegar, but you can use more or less.
- Add distilled white vinegar & whole key limes to Ninja,
- Blend until pureed.
- Pour out into jar & seal with a lid
- If you have left over key lime bits from recipe ##1 you can also use them in jar of vinegar.
- Sit in cupboard.
- Usually take 2 to 3 weeks sitting in cupboard.
- You might have to remove the lid a couple times during the process but I have never had too.
- When ready strain out bits with mesh strainer,.
- Add to spray bottle & clean.
I have used this mixture right away before, it is all up to you.
Add in a couple fresh mint, parsley or basil leaves.
Distilled white vinegar is for cleaning, if you want to make in an apple cider vinegar version for skin & hair make it the same way.
Recipe #4: Super simple
- Supplies needed, 1/2 cup fresh or bottled key lime juice,
- Add to 32 ounce spray bottle
- Fill up the rest of the way with water
Buy on Amazon:
Affiliate & Referral links: I do when I can have links that are affiliate or referral links, not all links on my blog, pages & posts are affiliate or referral links. (More info here)
I will share links to buy products on Amazon anytime I can, I thank you for your support.
- Check out my Disclaimers & Policies page here
- If this post contains an alternative remedy remember I am not a Dr.
Click here to learn where buy some of my favorite products such as coconut oil, colloidal silver & more.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog – NFR6K Blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
To contact me to review your product go here.
More products I love by Tropical Traditions: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil – Green label Virgin coconut oil – Palm Oil – Palm shortening – Extra Virgin Olive oil – Black Cumin Seed oil – Organic Sesame oil – Coconut water Vinegar – Organic Apple cider vinegar – Balsamic vinegar – Pink Himalayan salt – Organic spices – Organic Whole Unbleached Sugar – Grass-Fed butter & more.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. Thank you for reading my blog & supporting me on the journey to share #NFR6K Cheree