Step by step with pictures on how to make an activated charcoal poultice & the most common uses.
I do tend to spill a bit of charcoal so I will take a moment to remind you that charcoal is very black & messy, though amazing. Worth the mess.
If you do make a mess (& if you are like me you will), clean any charcoal off skin, counters etc with baking soda & water paste.
What you need:
- Bounty Paper towels (or pieces of cloth like flannel).
- Hardwood activated charcoal powder
- Clay or ground flax
Items for poultices on Amazon:
- Charcoal House hardwood activated charcoal powder
- Terramin Clay Montrmorillonite Clay
- Ground flax seeds
- Castor oil
- Aloe gel
- Coconut oil
- Bounty paper towels
For the size poultice I am making I use:
- 1 tbsp bentonite clay powder or ground flax seed (or both)
- 4 tbsp of hardwood activated charcoal powder.
- I add enough water for a thick but runny paste.(clay makes a bit runnier paste, flax makes a thicker paste, pictured to right & at bottom)
- Note: Castor oil can be used instead of clay or flax or in conjunction with them, so can aloe gel, raw coconut oil, olive oil etc, anything that will keep it wet, wetness keeps the charcoal active. Castor oil is great to combine the charcoal with for castor oil packs for pain & swelling.
- I put the thick paste in the center of a normal size paper towel folded.
- Always keep the charcoal mixture in a poultice 1/2 inch to an inch thick for it to work properly.
- Fold both of the long sides of paper towel in
Step # 4
- Now fold the other sides in to create an envelope with the paste inside.
- Slightly dampen both sides of paper towel to get it wet but not dripping wet.
- Lay paper towel poultice on plastic with the side up that has less paper towel (so the bottom side when you were folding).
- Apply to area of skin with plastic side out to protect clothing. (you can also put a paper towel or cloth between plastic & poultice).
- Wrap with ace bandage or a cloth to keep it in place.
- Keep on at least 4 hours or overnight.
Many use a poultice this size to put over heart/lungs, bruises, stings, bites, underarm detox etc.
If you double the size many use it for liver/gallbladder detox, fluid on the knee, strained muscles etc.
And even bigger for middle body etc.
Commonly used for drawing out toxins, to heal, for pain, for general detox & more.
Check out my blog post: Activated Charcoal – Do you know all of the amazing uses? – DIY and Beyond
Also check out:
DIY Natural skin brightening, lightning and detoxing formula (using activated charcoal)
Affiliate & Referral links: I do when I can have links that are affiliate or referral links, not all links on my blog, pages & posts are affiliate or referral links. (More info here)
I will share links to buy products on Amazon anytime I can, I thank you for your support.
- Check out my Disclaimers & Policies page here
- If this post contains an alternative remedy remember I am not a Dr.
Click here to learn where buy some of my favorite products such as coconut oil, colloidal silver & more.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog – NFR6K Blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
To contact me to review your product go here.
More products I love by Tropical Traditions: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil – Green label Virgin coconut oil – Palm Oil – Palm shortening – Extra Virgin Olive oil – Black Cumin Seed oil – Organic Sesame oil – Coconut water Vinegar – Organic Apple cider vinegar – Balsamic vinegar – Pink Himalayan salt – Organic spices – Organic Whole Unbleached Sugar – Grass-Fed butter & more.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. Thank you for reading my blog & supporting me on the journey to share #NFR6K Cheree