Another post on just how amazing Essential oils are!
It is that time of year, where everyone is worrying about getting sick & when allergies are a big issue.
Essential oils are a great aid in fighting illness, allergies & building immune system. If you are already sick they can help you get better faster. Essential oils are very versatile & can be used many different ways allowing each person to figure out the best method for them. I am going to share with you 5 of our favorite essential oils for cold, flu, congestion, cough, sore throat & more. But make sure to check out my blog post on our top 6 essential oil & where to buy quality essential oils at great prices, also make sure to check out my links below to more of my posts on staying well.
Why are these 5 essential oils are go to for cold, flu, allergies & all that goes with it? I will tell you a bit about each one as to why but first off they can be used by most ages safely & most do not have an allergy to them & even those with asthma can usually safely use these essential oils. There are still a few other great essential oils for fighting illness such as Frankincense, Litsea Cubeba & Myrrh & of course the amazing combo of Thieves (or 4 robbers blend) that I tell how to make yourself here. Honestly when it comes to essential oils the list would go on & on, so I will just stick to the 5 listed above.
I want to remind everyone to always seek medical advice before doing anything new & to go to the DR when needed, these remedies are just being shared for you to research them.
These essential oils can be used many ways to fight illness & build immune system, added to DIY cleaners, DIY body care, DIY oral care, DIY vapor rubs, in air misters, humidifiers, nebulizers & directly on your body etc & I will also share several examples below for using them.
Lets get started with why I picked these 5 essential oils for this post:
Tea Tree Oil: Some do not care for the scent of tea tree oil & prefer to mix it with other essential oils to hide the scent, we are though love the fresh camphor like scent alone or in combos. One of our favorite combos is mixing tea tree oil, eucalyptus & lavender essential oils. Tea tree oil has been hailed as a medicine cabinet in a bottle & it really is truly amazing to me (blog posts here & here). The antiseptic & antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil make it #1 on my list of over all favorite essential oils & #1 for fighting illness. Tea tree oil or Melaleuca is great combined in a carrier oil or used straight for those that are not sensitive to it when not diluted.
One of my favorite uses of tea tree oil is using it undiluted for a sore throat, irritated throat, cough & congestion is rubbing 10 or 15 or so drops of pure tea tree oil on my neck front & back, & then rubbing it into my chest & sinuses too if needed, I have done this 4 to 6 times a day. I also rub it either in a carrier oil or undiluted on the soles of my feet. I have a damaged lung, windpipe & throat from cancer & surgery so have lots of scar tissue, breathing issues & other issues, doing the straight tea tree oil has had an amazing effect on my breathing. The tea tree oil alone for this particular use works far better than diluted, though for certain uses diluted is the way to go if you can handle it undiluted.
Eucalyptus: I am a Eucalyptus essential oil addict, yes I really am, I can be stressing & just the scent can calm me down, but thats a story for another post. Eucalyptus essential oils is great for congestion, clogged noses & respiratory issue, it has a great clean cooling scent that pairs well with other essential oils or can be used alone. It is best for most to use eucalyptus in carrier oils & it is amazing in DIY vapor rubs. Eucalyptus essential oil is anti bacterial, anti fungal, astringent, antiseptic, antispasmodic , analgesic & has expectorant properties. For getting rid of phlegm & congestion eucalyptus might just be your best friend.
One of my favorite uses of Eucalyptus essential oil for breathing better is to add a sprayer top to a bottle of peroxide (like here) and adding 20 to 30 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to the bottle. Use it to clean any surface, mist it in the air for breathing issues & opening sinuses, use as a hand sanitizer, clean door knobs on & on, it pulls double duty killing germs, bacteria & viruses while helping you breath.
Peppermint: This essential oil we use similar to eucalyptus & even mix the 2 for lots of uses. Peppermint it is great for nausea while sick, colds & cough & for getting rid of headaches from allergies & sinus infection while being cooling & soothing & for some not as strong as eucalyptus. Many will add a drop or 2 of peppermint to hot tea or coffee when sick to open sinuses, I personally prefer to not do that but to each their own. Just some of the properties of peppermint essential oil, it is analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, sedative, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic, expectorant, antispasmodic, astringent & expectorant.
Two of my favorite uses for peppermint essential oil for colds are to add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to the outside of a sock we have added long grain rice in & sewed the end shut & warmed, lay it on the chest or beside your pillow. I also like to add several drops to coconut oil & rub on chest &/or across forehead & temples, also great on the bottoms of feet.
Lavender: It is soothing just thinking about lavender, taking a bath in lavender can help you relax & sleep & it is a favorite essential oil world-wide for the fact it has varying uses & is effective. Lavender essential oil pairs well with other essential oils & is milder & relaxing. Lavender essential oil is analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, sedative, antiseptic & antispasmodic. Little ones react well to lavender & it is great used alone in a carrier oil as a chest rub & rubbed on feet.
One of my favorite uses of lavender essential oil when sick is to add 10 to 20 drops to a hot bath with 1 cup each of baking soda, peroxide & epsom salt & soaking for 20 minutes to half an hour. Climb out of the hot soaking bath, dry off & rub raw coconut oil on your skin well, & go to bed & cover up.
Oregano: While this is a stronger smelling essential oil do not dismiss just how amazing it is, even beyond sickness. If you have a sinus infection that just wont quit oregano oil can come to the rescue. Oregano essential oil is analgesic, fungicidal, antibacterial, antifungal, expectorant, antimicrobial, antiseptic & antispasmodic, & a unique quality of oregano essential oil is antiallergenic substance. Oregano essential oil can be used mixed in a carrier oil to relieve mucus & phlegm with respiratory issues, while being soothing to the throat & lungs. It can cause additional coughing but sometimes coughing is a means to an end.
Two of my favorite uses for oregano essential oil when sick are to add a few drops of the oregano to a warm wash cloth or compress & lay over my sinuses & repeat as needed, this allows it to fight the infection & you to breath it in all at the same time. Oregano is also one of the best essential oils for allergies so if you mix it in cleaners or add it to your humidifier or spray it around the room while rubbing it on your chest in a carrier oil you can save yourself allergy pain & annoyance.
Just another idea:
Nebulizer: I like to add a drop or 2 or so of an essential oil with an ounce of colloidal silver in my nebulizer & just hold it as it runs letting the mist hit my face & breathing normally, I prefer the combo of lavender, tea tree & eucalyptus for this but oregano is also great.
Feel better soon!
Check out my other blog posts on staying well:
- Commercial and Natural vs DIY cleaners and your immune system
- Natural DIY Allergy Relief – Sinus – Immune Support – Vinegar – Colloidal silver – Baking soda – Oil Pulling
- Stay well and Get well soon- Recipe for Healing Tea and Garlic cleanse to fight illness
- Fun Time: Get well Time – DIY Essential oil Play Dough recipe
- Activated charcoal tablets/capsules for on the go – Food poisoning, stomach bug, flu
- How to: Sole Water – Natural Unrefined Pink Himalayan salt water for health
- Oil pulling How, Why, Troubleshooting, FAQ’s, Information – Coconut oil
- DIY Vapor Rubs: Raw Coconut oil & Essential oils, fast & easy
- Encore post: Natural DIY Chest Vapor rub, 6 recipes
- Our (Top 6) favorite essential oils – Great for DIY cleaning, skin care health and more
- How to make your own 4 robbers essential oil blend – DIY Recipes – Fighting viruses and bacteria
- Olbas Cough Syrup – Massage Oil
- Eucalyptus Globulus essential oil – DIY ideas
- DIY Recipes & Uses of Pure Organic Tea Tree Oil
- Even more uses for Tea Tree oil
- DIY ideas, Peroxide to the rescue, cleaning, beauty & more
- Baking soda – Great uses for cleaning, health, body care and beyond
- Lovely Lemons and Limes – lets get DIY Cleaning and Healthy too
- Silver Edge Colloidal silver Micro particle Generator – How I use the silver – DIY – info – More
- Colloidal silver has a place in my DIY life – What about you
Do you have a question? Do you want to contact me? It is easy to contact me with your questions. Go here
What Brands of coconut oil do I trust for taking & oil pulling? That is simple I use & recommend these 2 great brands:
- Skinny & Co. Coconut oil: Medicinal grade Extra Virgin coconut oil 100% pure. (click link for ordering info)
- Tropical Traditions Virgin Gold Label Coconut oil. (click link for ordering info)
- To buy your own The Silver Edge Micro Particle Colloidal Silver generator online click here
- If ordering the generator by phone or mail tell them my code so they know I sent you, my code is: Raising6kids
- Facebook Pages:
- Main page: Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
- Secondary blog page: Natural & Frugal raising6kids.wordpress.com Blog
- My DIY Facebook page: NFR6K My DIY Life
- Tropical Traditions video on Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Referral links: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil, Green label Virgin coconut oil, Palm Oil, Palm shortening, Extra Virgin Olive oil, Black Cumin Seed oil, Organic Sesame oil, Coconut water Vinegar, Organic Apple cider vinegar, Balsamic vinegar, Pink Himalayan salt, Organic spices,Organic Whole Unbleached Sugar, Grass-Fed butter & more.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
I do accept products to review on my blog
- My reviews policy: I am sent products to review on my blog and that all opinions are my own. (to contact me to review your product go here)
I am happy to be working with & doing a referral for LoseIt Tea for Health,Detox & Weight Loss to check it out, get more info & to buy your own use my affiliate link here.
Vacay Natural Water Enhancer that helps Relieve Stress, Anxiety, Ease Tension & Relax with mental clarity click here for more info & to order.
Thank you for supporting my Facebook pages, Blog & sharing with your friends, Cheree of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
The information on this site it intended for general inquiry, research & informational purposes only & should not be considered a substitute or replacement for trained medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
I am NOT a doctor, this page is for education & research only. Always consult a doctor, your health practitioner or other competent licensed health professional before taking any herbs or supplements, using alternative ideas & for any specific advice about medical treatments. In many cases these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
By Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids