Healthy steamed vegetable meals & side dishes.
Healthy and tasty option for getting your daily serving of vegetables.
Steaming is a great way to get the best out of your veggies, retaining all the nutrients and minerals lost by other cooking methods.
Steaming your vegetables is said to be the healthiest cooking method, steaming results less nutrients being lost during the cooking process. With steaming the natural flavors remain & in some cases enhances, steamed veggies are easier to digest. Steaming also can offer you more option to flavor & texture combos causing you to eat healthier. It really is not enough to just eat vegetables, you must prepare & cook them the properly to get the best benefits. Pairing steamed vegetables with other steamed foods like chicken, fish, rice, eggs etc, drizzling on healthy fats like real grass-fed butter, raw coconut oil, black seed oil, real olive oil etc, using real lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, coconut water vinegar etc & using natural seasonings like natural unrefined salt all go together to create a healthy& tasty combo your body can properly use.
I like to wash my vegetables by soaking them in baking soda water, if I am going to cut them I do it in bite size pieces, I try to either steam all veggies the same size or start the bigger pieces & then add anything like leafy veggies closer to the end of cooking.
Don’t throw away the water from steaming veggies either, as long as you are cleaning your vegetables well the water can be saved for stock. I also like to steam tomatoes for adding to rice, for making sauce etc.
Below I will share some of my favorite combos, but feel free to change them up to your liking, mix & match or whatever you like best. Feel free to chop & sprinkle on any fresh herbs during steaming, I did not include any but I add them as I have them, a favorite is rosemary. Ginger can also be added in with steamed veggies or steamed rice. You can also steam slices of lemon, orange, lime or grapefruit with almost any combo.
Some of my favorite combos:
- Broccoli, cauliflower, small green onions, after steaming drizzle with olive oil. & vinegar serve with steamed brown rice.
- Kale, white onions, baby spinach, grape tomato, drizzle with black seed oil serve with steamed chicken.
- New potatoes, onions, green peppers, drizzle with olive oil or coconut oil, serve with steamed fish.
- New potatoes, broccoli, garlic cloves, drizzle with real butter & (sprinkle with cheese optional), serve with grilled chicken.
- New potatoes, let steam most of the way & add baby spinach, kale & swiss chard, drizzle with oil or butter of choice, or a garlic infused olive oil, serve with leafy green salad with grilled chicken.
- Carrots, onions, fresh picked beans, drizzle with oil of choice, serve with stir fry.
- Cabbage, garlic cloves, carrots, onions, red peppers, drizzle with oil of choice, lemon juice, serve with baked meat of choice.
- Sweet potatoes, drizzle with olive oil or coconut oil (or real butter), mix in some yacon syrup, raw honey, molasses or pure maple syrup, sprinkle on cinnamon, makes a great side, snack or dessert.
So I was sent the Sunsella Stainless Steel Veggie Steamer to try out & then tell you about if I liked it. I have used this kind of fold up steamer before & find it very handy, the fact it fold up makes it space saving & it can fit in a drawer for easy storage. It is high grade stainless steel construction so it is sturdy & wont fall apart easily. The fold open design means it expands & adjusts to fit many pot & pan sizes. It has legs to hold your steamer & veggies out of the water for proper steaming, it also has a easy to use ring in the center for removing the steamer. Easy to use & easy to clean, it is dishwasher safe but I just use baking soda paste to wash mine.
I tried many of my favorite recipes & this little steamer works like a charm. I found it great for new potatoes & even if I decided to shred things like carrots.
Disclaimer: Sunsella provided me with steamer to try, and I was under no obligation to review it. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review. If the review has made it to my blog it is positive review & I recommend it.
Do you have a question? Do you want to contact me? It is easy to contact me with your questions. Go here
What Brands of coconut oil do I trust for taking & oil pulling? That is simple I use & recommend these 2 great brands:
- Skinny & Co. Coconut oil: Medicinal grade Extra Virgin coconut oil 100% pure. (click link for ordering info)
- Tropical Traditions Virgin Gold Label Coconut oil. (click link for ordering info)
- To buy your own The Silver Edge Micro Particle Colloidal Silver generator online click here
- If ordering the generator by phone or mail tell them my code so they know I sent you, my code is: Raising6kids
- Facebook Pages:
- Main page: Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
- Secondary blog page: Natural & Frugal raising6kids.wordpress.com Blog
- My DIY Facebook page: NFR6K My DIY Life
- Tropical Traditions video on Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Referral links: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil, Green label Virgin coconut oil, Palm Oil, Palm shortening, Extra Virgin Olive oil, Black Cumin Seed oil, Organic Sesame oil, Coconut water Vinegar, Organic Apple cider vinegar, Balsamic vinegar, Pink Himalayan salt, Organic spices,Organic Whole Unbleached Sugar, Grass-Fed butter & more.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
I do accept products to review on my blog
- My reviews policy: I am sent products to review on my blog and that all opinions are my own. (to contact me to review your product go here)
Vacay Natural Water Enhancer that helps Relieve Stress, Anxiety, Ease Tension & Relax with mental clarity click here for more info & to order.
Thank you for supporting my Facebook pages, Blog & sharing with your friends, Cheree of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
The information on this site it intended for general inquiry, research & informational purposes only & should not be considered a substitute or replacement for trained medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
I am NOT a doctor, this page is for education & research only. Always consult a doctor, your health practitioner or other competent licensed health professional before taking any herbs or supplements, using alternative ideas & for any specific advice about medical treatments. In many cases these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
By Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.