Essential oils are a big part of our natural DIY life.
My top 6 essential oils for everything, health, body, cleaning, DIY (now top 13)
Make sure to check out my other blog post: Essential oils uses: Cold, Flu, Allergies, Congestion, Cough, Sore Throat & Immune System
I get asked a lot by those just starting out what 6 essential oils I recommend the most for the most uses & how we use them, so I hope this blog post clears up that these questions. Essential oils can cost a bit at first but with proper use one bottle can last you a year, I buy them once a year. They are listed by the most used, so if you can only afford 3 I recommend the first 3, But the top 4 we could not live without I swear.
Some of our most used essential oils in our home: Eucalyptus, Lemon (or other citrus), Lavender, Peppermint, Tea tree oil & Lemongrass we do use others but these are the ones we use the most I list my other favorites below for a rounded out top 13.
I carry essential oil mixtures in my purse, check out what I carry here
#1 I will start with our first & foremost favorite as a family, Tea tree oil:
Melaleuca oil (Tea tree oil) is an amazing essential oil, very powerful natural germ fighter, great for cleaning, skin, hair, deodorant & oral care to.
So many do not like the scent though, but Tea tree is one of our families favorite scents, we love long soaking baths with it or to add it to our diffuser or room spray.
Tea tree is also part of our favorite essential oil combo we add to so many of our cleaners & deodorant & so on, our combo is Lavender, Eucalyptus & Tea tree essential oils to create our out right favorite scent combo.
Tea tree oil: Contains over 98 natural compounds. Tea tree oil is great at killing MRSA, it is antiseptic, fights infections, is great for skin issues(infections), athletes foot, ring worm, inflammation, wound care, anti-fungal, great for preventing & killing lice, for acne, dandruff, Anti-viral and anti-candida, great for sinus infections on & on. Also great used in oil pulling.
Recipes: add a drop or 2 of tea tree oil to your favorite shampoo, bath soaps, dish soaps, face creams & more
Face wash: Mix baking soda with warm water in a paste add a drop of tea tree oil & clean & exfoliate face, leave on a minute or to and wash with warm water.
Body butter: Add 1 cup of raw coconut oil to a jar, add 5 to 10 drops of Tea tree oil, (depending on how much you want). Add 1 tbsp of another healthy oil like real Olive oil, Argan oil or Jojoba oil etc, use one beater on your hand mixer & mix into a great body butter for skin, acne, rashes & more (more info here)
- To by Florihana tea tree oil go here
- Or Plant Therapy Tea tree oil on Amazon here
- I also found this larger size tea tree oil on Amazon I just love
#2 Eucalyptus essential oil is not only a favorite in our home it is my favorite essential oil:
Eucalyptus to me is by far the best essential oil, it can lift my mood & get me going, it keeps my lung healthy (damaged lung) & it can totally make my mood better. Plus eucalyptus goes great pared with other essential oils such as Tea tree (as mentioned above), with Lemon for many uses such as cleaning as I show in this blog post, with Lemongrass for a great bug deterrent (other essential oil pest control ideas here), with Lavender for a soaking bath or a tingling facial (here), also great mixed with other mints like Peppermint for room deodorizer, cleaning, deterring spiders & to relieve sinus issues & in the best essential oil combo ever Thieves oil blend you can easily make yourself here. And guess what eucalyptus is great added to toothpaste & oil pulling.
Eucalyptus essential oil: (Eucalyptus Globulus & Eucalyptus Radiata) Eucalyptus oil is analgesic, antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, & an expectorant, it also used as a natural cleaning solvent, it is great for cold, flu & Eucalyptus has a antibacterial effect in the repository system including upper respiratory, decongestants, pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infections, used successfully as an inhalant & a rub, as a natural deodorant, it is a fever reducer, Used on skin wounds, bruises, soreness, aches & pains, insect repellent, Eucalyptus promotes periodontal health, & fights against tooth decay, great for everything from acne, candida, migraines to diabetes & ulcers & so much more,
Recipes: Eucalyptus is great in DIY vapor rubs.
- To purchase Florihana Eucalyptus essential oils on Tropical Traditions: Eucalyptus Globulus Essential Oil here or Eucalyptus Radiata Essential Oil here.
- To buy Plant Therapy Eucalyptus on Amazon go here
#3 Lemon is such a refreshing clean scent that is more than just pretty:
Lemon essential oil is one of those essential oils when added to cleaners it cuts grime & grease & is amazing pared with Eucalyptus essential oil for cleaning. It is also mood lifting & is great diffused for a fast energy burst & healing to the body. Also great used in DIY skin care. It is also a must in the laundry room for us. And I use it in my DIY bleach alternative recipe sometimes found here. Lemon is also one of the essential oils you mix together to create the amazing thieves oil blend when you make it. Lemon is also great used in pest control, see here.
Lemon essential oil: (Citrus Limonia) Lemon oil has strong antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic & antiviral properties, & is being used successfully for candida, riding the body of toxins & poisons, great used as an antidepressant, immune booster, for aiding digestion, it can be used for cold, flu, congestion, respiratory issues, nail fungus, cold sores, corns calluses, mood booster, & much more, It is also great for skin & hair & awesome in the laundry room.Lemon essential oil is a favorite in our home.
- To purchase Florihana Lemon essential oil go here.
- To buy Plant Therapy Lemon on Amazon go here
- Here is a great deal on a great quality Lemon essential oil on Amazon
Recipes: Use to get glue & gum out of hair & off clothing & other surfaces, use to freshen your refrigerator & dishwasher as well as your washing machine.
Cleaner: For a great multi purpose cleaner for the whole house, in a large spray bottle add 1 part peroxide to 2 parts distilled water & 5 to 10 drops of lemon essential oil (optional add eucalyptus essential oil too). Clean any surface including chrome, stainless steel, mirrors, counter tops, stoves, toilets, sinks, faucets on & on, great for spot cleaning carpet & upholstery as well.
#4 Oh so soothing Lavender & a teen favorite in my home:
Do you need to relax or need a good nights sleep, for many Lavender essential oil is the answer to a much-needed rest, great as a linen spray & a room spray (here). You can also use it on acne or zits as my kids call them & it is great for burns, if you burn yourself grab the lavender essential oil & a box of baking soda & mix them with enough water to make a paste, or simply add some lavender to some aloe gel & apply or add to some water in a spray bottle for burns & sunburns as well. We also love it in cleaners & as was said above we love it mixed in with tea tree oil & eucalyptus for many things including DIY deodorant. Also great used in Pest control to repel mosquitoes and other insects, go here for info. We also use lavender for headaches & migraines & to kill & repel lice.
lavender is very effective at soothing, calming & revitalizing
Lavender: Is used for restlessness, insomnia, nervousness, depression, digestion, loss of appetite, vomiting, nausea, intestinal gas, upset stomach. pain, migraine headaches, toothaches, sprains, nerve pain, sores, joint pain, acne, cancer, staph, it is antimicrobial, a natural anti biotic, anti-fungal & more.
Soaking bath for pain & relaxing: Add 1 cup of epsom salt, 1 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of peroxide & 20 drops of Lavender essential oil to a hot soaking bath & soak 20 minutes to half an hour & then go to bed (you can use less of each & do a foot bat as well).
For zits: simply put a drop on the problem, you can also make a body butter for using on your skin & face.
Body butter: Add 1 cup of raw coconut oil to a jar, add 5 to 10 drops of Lavender essential oil, (depending on how much you want). Add 1 tbsp of another healthy oil like real Olive oil, Argan oil or Jojoba oil etc, use one beater on your hand mixer & mix into a great body butter for skin, acne, rashes & more (more info here).
Refresh your mattress: Mix 2 parts baking soda with 1 part corn starch(optional) & add in desired amount of lavender essential oil & spread on mattress with a small broom, work it into mattress & allow to sit several hours, then vacuum up. (option add peppermint essential oil to)
- To buy lavender essential oil from Florihana go here
- To buy Lavender essential oil from Plant Therapy go here
- Click here to buy Lavender EO on Amazon
#5 Peppermint to breathe better & to get rid of spiders too:
Thats right Peppermint causes spiders to run for the hills, so adding some to a spray bottle with water & spray where spiders tend to be, you can also add drops of peppermint to windowsills to keep spiders & mice away, add peppermint to areas where mice come into your home. But peppermint is also great in DIY oral care, in oil pulling, in diffuser to ward off illness & more. You can also mic peppermint with lavender & use it for panic attacks. Peppermint is also great as a kitchen & bathroom scent added to cleaners & as a plus as you clean you are deterring spiders & mice & other creepy guys (see my pest control post here). Also great for headaches. You can also mic peppermint & lavender essential oil for fast ease oof bug bites.
Peppermint: Kills germs, freshens breath, lifts moods, eases headaches, for nausea, as a muscle rub, soothing, for congestion, Peppermint has anesthetic, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, insecticidal, antispasmodic & carminative properties.
Recipes: Use peppermint in your DIY cleaners, room sprays, linen sprays & more.
Odor remover: in a bowl mix baking soda & peppermint essential oil & sit where you have odors.
Moisturizer/muscle rub): Add some peppermint essential oil to some raw coconut oil & use on your skin. Also great as sore muscle rub (for muscle rub you can also add eucalyptus essential oil &or Lemongrass essential oil).
- To buy Florihana peppermint essential oil go here
- To buy Plant Therapy peppermint EO on Amazon go here
- And I am in love with this quality peppermint essential oil on Amazon
#6 Lemongrass the often forgotten essential oil:
Lemongrass is a must in our home for DIY pest control as seen here. Some prefer lemongrass as a perfume I am not into it that way but we do use it plenty. Lemongrass is great in skin care & hair care, great for dandruff & dry skin. But as I said we mainly use it in pest control including keeping mosquitoes & no see ums away. But it is great used as a pain rub too.
Lemongrass is one of those essential oils not everyone can handle the scent of, so for some I suggest switching to one of the alternatives below.
Lemongrass : For insect repellent , detox, sedative, promotes lymph flow, circulation, for pain, stomach pain, healing, antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic,dilates blood vessels, for respiratory, sinuses, infection, high cholesterol, bladder, kidney & digestive health, fluid retention, varicose veins, & more.
Recipes: We mix Lemongrass in a spray bottle with water & use to ward of bugs like mosquitoes.
Pain: You can add lemongrass to oil like raw coconut oil & use on your body over pain, such as headaches, stomach aches, muscle soreness, bruises & more, great for healing things like ligaments, muscles, cartridge & more. It can also be added to a soaking bath or a foot bath.
- To buy Florihana lemongrass essential oil go here
- To buy Plant Therapy Lemongrass EO on Amazon go here
Rounding out to my top 13: (clink the essential oil name links or Amazon affiliate links to order)
- #7 Niaouli – Often described as he scent of tea tree & a camphor kinda eucalyptus combo (buy on Amazon). Niaouli EO for aches, acne, bronchitis, colds, coughs, cuts, dull skin, flu, oily skin, sore throat, whooping cough, digestive system, boils, abscesses, insect bites & sting. & is analgesic, anti-rheumatic, antiseptic, bactericidal, balsamic, cicatrisant, decongestant, expectorant, febrifuge, insecticide, stimulant, vermifuge & vulnerary. A powerful, stimulating skin cleanser, Niaouli oil can be thought of as a gentler version of tea tree oil that is great for sensitive skin.
- #8 Frankincense – Good for so many things & sometimes I like it better than lemongrass & for some people I recommend this essential oil as their #6 instead of lemongrass. (Buy on Amazon). Frankincense EO is antiseptic, disinfectant, astringent, carminative, cicatrisant, cytophylactic, digestive, diuretic, emenagogue, expectorant, sedative, tonic, uterine and vulnerary substance.
- #9 Myrrh – Perfect combined with frankincense especially in bath or diffusers (Buy on Amazon & Buy a diffuser on Amazon). Myrrh EO can be attributed to its properties as an antimicrobial, astringent, expectorant, antifungal, stimulant, carminative, stomachic, anticatarrhal, diaphoretic, vulnerary, antiseptic, immune booster, circulatory, tonic, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic.
- #10 Litsea Cubeba (read why here – This is an amazing yet often forgotten about essential oil). Also another essential oil that can take the place of #6 lemongrass for some people. My kids say the scent is like lemonheads. (Buy on Amazon). Litsea Cubeba or May Chang EO is antibiotic, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, deodorant, digestive, insecticidal, sedative, stimulant, stomachic, vulneraryantidepressant, astringent, carminative, insecticidal, cordial, hypotensive, tonic, colds, flatulence, indigestion, insect repellant, oily skin, perspiration, poor appetite, stress, tissue toningacne, indigestion.
- #11 Sweet Orange (we use it very similar to lemon & mixed with lemon). (Buy on Amazon). It is an anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, antispasmodic, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, carminative, diuretic, tonic, sedative and cholagogue substance.
- #12 Rosemary (amazing in skin care). (Buy on Amazon). Rosemary EO is is a disinfectant & can can prevent gingivitis, cavities, plaque build up for oral care. It is analgesic, antibacterial, anticancer, anticatarrhal, antifungal, anti-infection, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and expectorant properties.
- And a bonus #13 Oregano (we use it on bites & stings, rashes & more for instant relief). (Buy on Amazon). Oregano EO is antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, digestive, emenagogue and anti-allergenic substance.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
Affiliate & Referral links: I do when I can have links that are affiliate or referral links, not all links on my blog, pages & posts are affiliate or referral links. (More info here)
I will share links to buy products on Amazon anytime I can, I thank you for your support.
- Check out my Disclaimers & Policies page here
- If this post contains an alternative remedy remember I am not a Dr.
Click here to learn where buy some of my favorite products such as coconut oil, colloidal silver & more.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog – NFR6K Blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
To contact me to review your product go here.
More products I love by Tropical Traditions: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil – Green label Virgin coconut oil – Palm Oil – Palm shortening – Extra Virgin Olive oil – Black Cumin Seed oil – Organic Sesame oil – Coconut water Vinegar – Organic Apple cider vinegar – Balsamic vinegar – Pink Himalayan salt – Organic spices – Organic Whole Unbleached Sugar – Grass-Fed butter & more.