Do you love Lemons and Limes?
Lovely Lemons and Limes.
We use these awesome citrus fruits for almost everything, health, hair, skin/beauty, deodorant, cleaning, laundry, home scents, these little yellow & green fruits are so amazing, maybe even more than you realize, so if you have not tried them yet maybe you will soon.
What’s not to love about these bright-colored citrus fruits?
Sometimes just looking at the bright-colored skins of yellow & green can make you smile. Yes they can be sour & make your moth pucker, we have all seen those videos of babies trying a lemon wedge for the first time or maybe we have the same reaction ourselves, but there is so much more to these little power packed fruits. Did you know squeezing that lemon wedge in your glass of water at your favorite restaurant can help purify the water & remove the chlorine & even aid your digestion when eating? So next time you eat out, skip the soda order a glass of cold water with a lemon wedge on the side.
Peelings: Don’t waste the lemon or lime peels or even any used lemon & lime, they can be infused into vinegar & used for cleaning, or infused into Apple cider vinegar & used for skin & hair, my teens love the citrus vinegar for hair & skin (see below). Lemon & lime peels can also be used for health (info here)
Lemons & Limes
We personally use lemons more than limes & lemon juice is on my top 10 list, but do not think we forget about limes they also get used plenty. (health info below cleaning info). I use lemons & limes for the whole family & my teens are in love with lemons for so many uses.
Here are just some of the ways we use lemons daily, washing our face, drink first thing in the morning, for stomach issues, sore throats, as a treat, in our cleaners, as a whitener/brightener, as underarm deodorant, teeth whitener, in no poo & as a household deodorizer.
To pin this blog post on Pinterest
I will be sharing just some of the ways we clean with lemon (& limes) in our home below. in most cases Lime can be used in place of lemon or vise versa or even together. So where it says lemon juice in these cleaning recipes you can use lime juice or both whatever way you want.
Spray disinfectant: Juice of 1/2 of lemon 1 cup vinegar to 1 cup water Add the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake to mix thoroughly. options: add 5 drops lemon essential oil &/or 5 drops eucalyptus essential oil. (more spray cleaners in my blog series here)
Copper pot/Pot cleaner: Make a paste of lemon juice and salt and use to scrub your copper pots, let sit, Rinse and dry thoroughly. The citric acid in the lemon will remove any oxidation stains. (more DIY kitchen cleaning ideas here)
All Purpose Cleaner: 1 Cup Warm Water, 1 Cup White Vinegar, 4 TBS lemon Juice, 10 Drops Tea Tree Oil, mix in spray bottle.
Citrus infused vinegar cleaner, for hair & skin: Do you have extra lemon, lime or other citrus peels & want a use for them? Simply use a quart mason jar, fill half way with peelings then fill jar up all the way with white vinegar, seal lid & sit in the cupboard for 2 weeks, all you do is add equal parts water & the lemon vinegar in a spray bottle, makes a great multi purpose cleaner & cuts through grease & grime (we do this with Apple cider vinegar for hair & skin as well) more info, how to & uses here
To clean & disinfect a wooden cutting board: Simply cut a lemon in half, sprinkle salt on the cutting board, take the half lemon & rub the cut side on the cutting board using the salt as a scrubber & the juice as it comes out as a cleaner, scrub the whole surface & allow to sit 5 or 10 minutes, rinse off & allow to air dry.
To clean grout: make a paste of lemon juice & baking soda, scrub with an old toothbrush, allow to sit till dry & rinse off, for tough stains add peroxide to this mixture. (more DIY ideas for cleaning in the bathroom here)
Another spray disinfectant: 1 cup of lemon juice, 1/2 cup of white vinegar, 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol, 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. great for door knobs, faucets, counters even mirrors & chrome. Options: add 5 to 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
Carpet, furniture, bedding, deodorizer/cleaner: take 1 box of baking soda add it to a plastic container with a seal tight lid, use a fork & work in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of lemon juice & 10 drops of lemon essential oil you want the mixture to be damp but crumbly so you can pick up pieces not so wet it is paste. Options also add peroxide for satins & to remove pet odors, 10 eucalyptus essential oil to deodorize. Simply sprinkle on carpet, furniture or bedding & scrub in with a clean broom, leave sit several hours or overnight till dry, then vacuum up. always do a spot check first. (more DIY livingroom cleaning ideas here, more DIY bedroom cleaning ideas here)
*I sometimes use some lime juice to make it lemon/lime
*You can also add 20 drops lemon essential oil to mixture for a more lemony scent & more disinfectant power (or other essential oil)
What I do is add it to the bleach cycle & the rinse cycle on towels. whites etc for extra brightening/whitening & softening power plus odor elimination.
Room spray/mist deodorizer & room scent (sanitizer too): Get a spray bottle or spray mister & fill the bottle 1/4 to 3/4 full with lemon & lime juice (fresh or concentrate, or you can use just lemon or just lime) add tbsp. of peroxide to every 8 ounces (if spray bottle is 16 oz add 2 tbsp., if it is 4 ounces add 1/2 tbsp. etc.) Fill the rest of the spray bottle with distilled water. Options: - Peroxide can be replaced with: colloidal silver, white vinegar or add rubbing alcohol. – If you want you can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. – Water can be replaced with floral water such as rosewater, jasmine water etc.
DIY cleaning power
Info below I have copy & pasted from multiple internet articles
Health Benefits of Lemons:
The benefits from lemon are due to many nourishing elements like vitamin C, vitamin B, phosphorous, proteins, and carbohydrates present in it. Lemon is a fruit that contains flavonoid, a composite that holds antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. It helps to prevent diabetes, constipation, high blood pressure, skin care, fever, hair care, dental care, indigestion and many other health problems. Studies conducted at the American Urological Association highlight the fact that lemonade or lemon juice can cure kidney stones by forming urinary citrate, which can prevent formation of crystals.
People use lemon to make lemonade by mixing lemon juice with water. Many people use lemon as a washing agent, as it can remove stains. Lemon can also repel mosquitoes. Drinking of lemon juice with olive oil helps to get rid of gall stones. Lemon is well-known for its medicinal control and is used in many different ways. As per the results reported in a study of Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, lemon provides human guard against inflammatory polyarthritis and arthritis.
Health benefits of lemon more info:
Include treatment of dental problems, overweight, respiratory disorders and cholera. Known for its therapeutic property since generations, lemon helps to strengthen your immunity system and cleanses your stomach. It is not only a blood purifier but also enables body to fight diseases. Lemon juice, especially, has several health benefits associated with it. Useful for treating kidney stones, curing heart strokes and reducing the body temperature, lemonade helps you to stay calm and cool.
- High Blood Pressure: Drinking lemon juice is helpful for people suffering with heart problems as it contains potassium. It controls high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea as provides relaxation to mind and body. It reduces mental stress and depression.
- Throat Infections: Lemon is an excellent fruit that aids in fighting problems related to throat infections as it has an antibacterial property.
- Indigestion: The lemon juice helps to cure problems related to indigestion.
- Constipation: Lemon acts as a blood purifier and a cleansing agent. The intake of lemon juice can cure constipation.
- Fever: Lemon juice can treat a person who is suffering from cold, flu or fever. It helps to break fever by increasing perspiration.
- Dental Care: Lemon juice is used in dental care also. If fresh lemon juice is applied on the areas of toothache, it can assist in getting rid of the pain. The massages of lemon juice on gums can stop gum bleeding. It gives relief from bad smell and other problems related to gums.
- Hair Care: Lemon juice has proved itself in the treatment of hair care on a wide scale. Lemon juice if applied on the scalp can treat problems like dandruff, hair fall and other problems related to hair and scalp. Lemon juice if applied on the hair, gives a natural shine to hair.
- Skin Care: Lemon juice, being a natural antiseptic medicine, can participate to cure problems related to skin. Lemon juice can be applied to stop sun burn also. It helps to get relieved from bee sting as well. Lemon juice can also be applied on the skin for acne and eczema problems. It acts as an anti ageing remedy and can remove wrinkles and blackheads. Drinking of lemon juice mixed with water and honey brings glow to the skin.
- Burns: Lemon juice if applied on the areas of burns can fade the scars. As lemon is a cooling agent, it reduces the burning sensation on the skin.
- Internal Bleeding: As lemon has antiseptic and styptics properties, it can stop internal bleeding. You can apply lemon juice on small cotton and place inside to nose to stop nose bleeding.
- Rheumatism: Lemon is also a diuretic and can treat rheumatism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body.
- Weight Loss: If a person takes lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, it can reduce the body weight as well.
- Respiratory Disorders: Lemon juice assists in curing respiratory problems, along with breathing problems and revives a person suffering from asthma.
- Cholera: The diseases like cholera or malaria can be treated with lemon juice, as it acts as a blood purifier.
- Foot Relaxation: Lemon is an aromatic and antiseptic agent and is useful in foot relaxation. Add some lemon juice in warm water and dip the foot in the water to get foot relaxation
- Corns: Lemon juice can dissolve lumps on the skin. It can be applied at the places where the skin has been hardened up. Drinking of lemon juice with water can facilitate the patient to get rid of stones
The health benefits of Limes:
The first fruit that comes to our minds when it comes to medicinal uses is perhaps the good old lime. This sour citrus fruit can do what many specialist medicines cannot. Lime, bearing the scientific name Citrus Aurantifolia, is being used for ages for treatment of various ailments.
Lime is consumed throughout the world in sorbets, beverages, refreshing drinks, pickles, jams, jellies, snacks, candies, sugar boiled confectionaries and culinary and the oil extracted from its peel or skin is extensively used in soft drink concentrates, body oils, cosmetics, hair oils, tooth pastes, toilet and beauty soaps, disinfectants, mouth washes, deodorants and innumerable other products. There are many varieties of lime found all over the world, particularly in the tropical and the Mediterranean climates.
Health benefits of Lime more info:
benefits of lime include scurvy, digestion, constipation, eye care, piles, peptic ulcer, respiratory disorders, gout, gums, weight loss, skin care, urinary disorders, etc.
It helps cure arthritis, rheumatism, prostrate and colon cancer, cholera, arteriosclerosis, diabetes, fatigue, heart diseases and even very high fever (in contrary to popular belief). The best part of it is that it has no side effects. Other Benefits: It is a good appetizer and digestive.
Scurvy: Lime is so famous as a cure for scurvy, the disease which is caused due to deficiency of vitamin-C and characterized by frequent infections with cough and cold; cracked lips and lip corners; ulcers in tongue and mouth; spongy, swollen and bleeding gums etc. that now a days even a child can tell you that. Since its cause is deficiency of vitamin-C, its remedy is none other than vitamin-C, and lime is blessed with this vitamin. In olden days, soldiers and sailors were given lime to keep safe from scurvy, which was a dreaded disease then. Even now, it is distributed among the workers working in polluting environments like those working in furnaces, painting shops, heat treatments, cement factories, mines etc. to protect them from scurvy.
Digestion: Lime has an irresistible scent which waters the mouth and thus aid primary digestion (the digestive saliva floods your mouth even before you taste it). Then the acids in it do the rest. While they break down of the macro molecules of the food, the Flavonoids, the compounds found in the fragrant oils extracted from lime, stimulate the digestive system and increase secretion of digestive juices, bile and acids and also stimulate the peristaltic motion. This is the reason behind having lemon pickle with lunch and dinner is an age old practice in India and some of its neighboring countries.
Constipation: Primarily, the ample of acids present in lime helps clear the excretory system by washing and cleaning off the tracts, just like some acids are used to clean floor and toilets. Then the roughage in it is also helpful in easing constipation. But it is mainly due to high acids. An overdose of lime juice with salt also acts as an excellent purgative without any side effects, thereby giving relief in constipation.
Peptic Ulcer: In addition to vitamin-C, lime contains special compounds called Flavonoids (Limonoids such as Limonin Glucoside) which have anti oxidant, anti carcinogenic, anti biotic and detoxifying properties which help healing of peptic and oral ulcers.
Respiratory Disorders: The oil, containing Flavonoids and certain oils, extracted from lime is extensively used in anti congestive medicines such as balms, vaporizers, inhalers etc. due to presence of Kaempferol. Just scratching the peel of a lime and inhaling it gives immediate relief in congestion and nausea.
•Gout: There are two main causes of Gout. While the first reason is accumulation of free radicals in the body; the second is accumulation of toxins, primarily uric acid. Now, limes can help you with both of these. It is a reservoir of anti oxidants & detoxifiers (vitamin-C & Flavonoids) which free radicals as well as detoxify the body.
Gums: The root causes of gum problems are deficiency of vitamin-C (Scurvy, which gives bleeding and spongy gums) and microbial growth. Sometimes, the ulcers and wounds from bones, hard objects etc. are also the causes. In all of these, limes can help you. Its vitamin-C cures scurvy, Flavonoids inhibit microbial growth and potassium and Flavonoids help heal ulcers and wounds.
•Eye Care: Vitamin-C again! Its anti oxidant properties protect eyes from aging and macular degeneration. Flavonoids help protect them from infections.
•Piles: Since lime helps heal up ulcers and wounds in the digestive system and excretory system and gives relief from constipation too, it eradicates all the root causes of piles
Weight Loss: A glass of warm water with a full-lime juice in it is an excellent weight reducer as well as a brilliant refresher and anti oxidant drink. The citric acid present in lime is an excellent fat burner. Just have two glasses a day and see the remarkable result within a week.
•Skin Care: Lime juice and its oil are very beneficial for skin when consumed orally or applied externally. It rejuvenates the skin, keeps it shining, protects it from infections and reduces body odor due to presence of a large amount of vitamin-C and Flavonoids, both of which are class-1 anti oxidants, anti biotic and disinfectants. When applied externally on skin, its acids scrub out the dead cells, cures dandruff, rashes, bruises etc. and gives you a refreshing bath if its juice or oil is mixed into your bathing water.
Urinary Disorders: The high potassium content of limes is very effective in removal of the toxic substances and the precipitates deposited in kidneys, urinary bladder and its disinfectant properties help cure infections in the urinary system. It also stops prostrate growth (very common in males above 40) and clears blockage of urine due to deposition of calcium in the urinary tract
Caution: The seeds of all citrus fruits (and also apples) are poisonous and if ingested in large quantity (even a small handful) can be fatal. So, avoid chewing or swallowing the seeds.
Do you have a question? Do you want to contact me? It is easy to contact me with your questions. Go here
What Brands of coconut oil do I trust for taking & oil pulling? That is simple I use & recommend these 2 great brands:
- Skinny & Co. Coconut oil: Medicinal grade Extra Virgin coconut oil 100% pure. (click link for ordering info)
- Tropical Traditions Virgin Gold Label Coconut oil. (click link for ordering info)
- Facebook Pages:
- Main page: Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
- Secondary blog page: Natural & Frugal raising6kids.wordpress.com Blog
- My DIY Facebook page: NFR6K My DIY Life
- Tropical Traditions video on Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Referral links: Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil, Green label Virgin coconut oil, Palm Oil, Palm shortening, Extra Virgin Olive oil, Organic Sesame oil, Coconut water Vinegar, Organic Apple cider vinegar, Balsamic vinegar Pink Himalayan salt, Organic spices.
“If you order by clicking on any of my links & order from Tropical Traditions & have never ordered from them in the past, you might receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, & I will receive a discount coupon for referring you”
I do accept products to review on my blog
- My reviews policy: I am sent products to review on my blog and that all opinions are my own. (to contact me to review your product go here)
Thank you for supporting my Facebook pages, Blog & sharing with your friends, Cheree of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
The information on this site it intended for general inquiry, research & informational purposes only & should not be considered a substitute or replacement for trained medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
I am NOT a doctor, this page is for education & research only. Always consult a doctor, your health practitioner or other competent licensed health professional before taking any herbs or supplements, using alternative ideas & for any specific advice about medical treatments. In many cases these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.
All information contained in the pages of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids blog, blog posts, site, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest or elsewhere are for information & research only.
By Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids